My Family

My Family

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Death


Death

1 Corinthians 15:55 ~ Death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

Today my children experienced death for the first time.  Ashleigh’s kitten, J.J., was hit and killed by a car sometime last night or early this morning.  To see my poor daughter as she suffers the loss of her beloved cat is heart wrenching.  I wish I could shield her from the pain of loss, I wish I could take their sorrow, but most of all I wish I could tell both her and Aaron that there is no such thing as death.  But death, like birth, is a part of life. 

Ashleigh lost something very precious to her today and we allowed her to see J.J.  before she helped dig his grave and make a wooden cross out of sticks.  We helped Ashleigh grieve the best way we could.  Will she get over the loss of this beloved pet?  YES.  Will she ever forget this kitten that she thought the world of?  Probably not!

This is the perfect opportunity to teach my children that though death is final, it is not the end!  I can teach my children that even though we have a purpose here on earth, our greatest purpose is yet to come.  We are born as a sinner into a sin filled world.  We that are chosen are quickened by the Holy Spirt and at the appointed time are received into HIS fold.  By HIS Grace we do the best we can to be the best example of Christ and to witness to the lost. 

I can teach my children that although this is a sad and painful time in their lives that we can still rejoice.  We will always have the happy memories of J.J.  The things that he would do to make us laugh and the silly little quirks that made him unique.  The sting of death is painful, but it does not last forever and I can tell my children that one day we will live in a place where there are no tears, pain, sorrow or death.

Lastly I can teach my children there is a Savior and HE will give us life eternal.  I can tell my children that for those who believe we will spend an eternity with the One who has conquered the grave.

For those who are lost death is final and that is the end, there is no more; but for those that are reborn death is just the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment