My Family

My Family

Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Great Physician


It’s one o’clock in the morning and I hear the pitter-pater of little feet across the floor and then I hear Mommy!!!  I get up and climb the stairs hoping that all they need is some water or to be re-tucked into bed.  But as I get to the top of the stairs I hear “I don’t feel good”.  My heart sinks and I think this could be a long night.  I hate it when one of my kids are sick I feel so helpless and I wish I could take away the tummy ache, the sore throat or whatever little ache or pain they are experiencing.  So I do all the normal mommy things, I check for a temperature and if they feel warm I get out the thermometer and if there is a temperature, then I give them a dose of Tylenol and tell them to lay on the couch.  I go into their room and get a pillow and a blanket and we camp out together on the couch.  I hope by morning they are feeling better.  Morning comes and they are not better, still running a fever and aches and pains are all still present, so I let them stay home from school.  By the end of the day they appear to be much better and I worry about what will happen during the night.  So bed time comes and I check them again, give a dose of Tylenol just for safe measures and go to bed, the next morning, they are still not feeling any better so I call the doctor and make an appointment.  How many of us go thru that same ritual, how many of us call on God, our great physician when our children are sick and need a healing touch from Him?  I know I do!

We know how important our children are to us and their return to a healthy norm, how more important is the sickness of sin.  I know God can heal all manners of physical sickness, we run to God whenever our children are sick or we have a friend or family member who is sick or has been diagnosed with a terminal illness.  But how often are we praying for those that are lost, our loved ones, an acquaintance or even that person we have never met in passing or the ones we shall never meet.  God is our great physician and not only can he heal our physical illness but more important he heals our spiritual illness.  Yes I said it spiritual illness, those that are unsaved, those God has not called to be a part of His chosen few are spiritual sick. 

In Mark 2:17 ~ When Jesus heard (it), he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick.  I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Jesus said the healthy or saved do not require a doctor, only those that are sick.  They need a touch from the Great Physician, those that are lost and going to hell.  We as Christians should act as God’s nurses; we need to do all the things that nurses do before the Doctor sees the patient.  We start by praying for them, we then tell them about the Doctor and what the Doctor can do for them and we then allow the Doctor to do His part. 

We sometimes forget about this spiritual sickness, but it was foremost in our Savior’s mind.  Just like Jesus, we should be most concerned with the sickness of sin and introducing the lost to the Great Physician.  So let us be God’s nurses while there is still time and tell the sick about the One who can heal them.

2 comments:

  1. Constance, I absolutely love this ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, feel free to check out the rest of my posts

    ReplyDelete